GREATER OPPORTUNITIES FOR BROOME AND CHENANGO, INC.
Head Start Program
Position: Health Services Coordinator Date Revised: 10/2020
Reports to: Head Start Director Salary Category: C
Employment Status: Exempt
Responsibilities: Oversee the delivery of health services to the Head Start and Early Head Start programs, ensuring compliance with federal, state, and local regulations.
Licensed Practical Nurse with Associate’s degree preferably with pediatric, school nurse or public health experience and one year of supervisory experience. Willing to obtain First Aid/CPR Trainer Certification.
Personal Attributes: The Health Services Coordinator must act in accordance with GOBC’s mission and abide by its standards of conduct. It is required that this individual work cooperatively as a team member and communicate effectively with others. The Health Services Coordinator must be able to work with persons of varying socio-economic, ethnic, and educational backgrounds.
- Works as part of a team to support staff in carrying out program services.
- Follows all agency, administrative and programmatic policies and procedure.
- Assists in ensuring the agency meets all federal, state, and local regulations.
- Maintains confidentiality of information regarding staff, children, and families.
- Updates the Head Start Health Care Plan as needed to ensure compliance with the NYS Office of Children and Family Services (OCFS) Regulations and Head Start Performance Standards.
- Monitors staff certification in CPR, First Aid and Medication Administration Training in accordance with regulations. Arranges for or facilitates training as needed.
- Visits Preschool and Early Head Start sites to observe health practices and to provide feedback to the classroom staff.
- Conducts post-partum home visits to Early Head Start women within two weeks of birth and ensures that a health assessment is completed for follow-up with the Home Visitor.
- Maintains contractual agreements with the medical and dental community to ensure a complete health wellness program for each child.
- Assures that enrolling children receive a physical examination incorporating the requirement of the New York State Immunization Requirements for School Entrance before entry into the program and annually thereafter.
- Reviews physical and dental forms and enters required data into COPA. Updates/tracks information as needed throughout the program year.
- Ensures that required hearing, vision, height and weight screenings of Early Head Start and Head Start children occurs within 45 days of enrollment and that parents/guardians receive the results in a timely manner. Provide referrals and follow up with families, as needed.
- Assists staff in working with parents to ensure that each child receives a dental examination in accordance with Head Start Performance Standards.
- Ensures that each Head Start employee obtains a physical examination and Tuberculin Screen in accordance with OCFS Day Care Center Regulations upon hire. Reviews all physicals for completeness and submits them to the Human Resources Director.
- Supports staff during enrollment and throughout the program year with health-related issues involving children, which may include participation in child and family reviews, case conferences or in the development of Individual Health Care Plans.
- Serves as co-facilitator of the Health/Nutrition Advisory Committee held twice each year.
- Completes reports as needed including the NYS Immunization Survey, Quarterly Outcomes Reports, PIR, and On-going Monitoring Reports.
- Participates on committees within the community to enhance medical and dental access to Head Start families.
- Facilitates trainings for parents on health and safety topics.
- Provides oral and health education to children at Early Head Start/Head Start sites.
- Updates the Head Start Exposure Control Plan annually. Ensures that all new Head Start employees receive Bloodborne Pathogens/OSHA training upon hire, and then annually thereafter.
- Assists in the development of agency policies and offers support towards programmatic goals.
- Other Duties
- Drives Agency Vehicles as necessary
- Can be contacted at home
- Participates in training and workshops to enhance job performance. Shares training information with colleagues.
- Performs other job-related duties as necessary or assigned.
Talking – ordinary Physical demands – Climbing, stooping, kneeling
Hearing – ordinary conversation reaching, pushing, handling
Weight-lifting up to 50 lbs. Seeing – acuity, near and far